Saturday, August 21, 2010

Comic Con 2010 Part Four - Saturday

For Saturday at Comic con 2010, I faced a dilemma. There were three killer panels I wanted to see that day. In Hall H was the Warner Bros panel featuring Green Lantern and Harry Potter. Over at the Ingido Ballroom, the Venture Brothers was going on. In Ballroom 20 was the Chuck panel followed up by FOX animation shows. Since Ballroom 20 had 3 straight hours of great programming, I got in line for it around 8:30 am.

20100724184
N97 | Duffman waitin in line. He would be waiting more than 3 hours for the Simpsons panel

I was very surprised to find a long line when I got there. Lines have become an annoying part of Comic Con. Back in 2008, I was at a Barcamp here in Los Angeles and met a guy who had a ton of gadgets and assorted gear in his cargo pants. One piece included a small tripod chair. I found one on Amazon for $20. This thing has come in a lot of handy over the past 3 years. I combined it with a free carabiner I got the exhibit hall to attach to my backpack for when I walk around to keep my hands free.

Most impressive costume so far
N97 | Awesome water tank costume, possibly from SAW

The Chuck panel was a lot of fun. I was a bit dissapointed I didn't get a shirt. Only a few lucky people got them. Its a shame NBC or Warner Bros couldn't supply the whole audience. The folowing Family Guy panel was great. They showed footage from their Return of the Jedi parody. The Cleveland Show panel featured a reading from an upcoming episode about Comic Con. The Futurama panel also did a reading and will also be doing a Comic Con episode. The Simpsons panel had a lot of Q&A. This is the first year I can remember where there wasn't a question about Life in Hell.

20100724191
N97 | I spotted this Homer on my way outside

Following my stay in Ballroom 20, I headed back to the Scott Pilgrim Experience. A guy from UC San Diego recognized me and we talked about how much the campus has changed while munching on more garlic bread. I scored a couple of Scott Pilgrim shirts, but they ran out of custom shirts right before I was about to get in. Dejected, I headed for the line for Hall H.

20100724192
N97 | A Ramona Flowers posing with the Scott Pilgrim Garlic Bread truck

20100724196
N97 | Dancing with a Na'vi

It was about 3:30 and the line for Hall H didn't seem very long. It was moving along pretty well and I was almost sure I would make it in for the 6PM Marvel movie panel. I bunked down and chatted with some people in line. I think it was around 4:30 that tweets were coming from inside that there was a stabbing. Apparently some guys were fighting over a seat and an eye got poked with a pen. The line hadn't moved much and a lot of confusion was going on with the line workers. Inside they paused all the programming and were showing trailers. By 6:30 they announced that we would not be able to get in the Marvel panel. All that time weasted...

20100724197
N97 | Waiting in line with the Justice League

I called one of my roomates and we tried to find the zombie party. We ended up at a place called the Side Bar. We got there at happy hour, so I got loaded on little dime. I was quite giddy at this point and instead of finding the zombie party, we headed back for some night programming.

20100724201
N97 | Drunk shot of Iron Man

I didn't do as much night programming this year compared to previous years. I missed out on Worst Cartoons Ever and two Spike and Mike panels. This year, I attended one of the best panels that made the whole cost of attendence worth it.

20100724202
N97 | Tommy Wisaeu

Tommy Wisaeu was there to present his new project: The House That Drips Blood on Alex. It is a strange and funny short film that might get turned into a movie. After the amazing Q&A, I got him to sign a movie poster. Afterwards I watched a bit of the Masquerade and after party. They had a great werewolf themed drink that tasted mediciney. I also got to watch some fireworks outside.

I headed back to the hotel and ran into all my roomates at the bar. While we were there, Stan Lee walked by with a huge entourage. I ordered a Blue Hawaiian and they made it all weird and with a giant pineapple wedge. It was about 1:30AM when I finally got to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You read this and want to make a comment? Good for you!