Saturday, January 15, 2011

VOX Archive: Sportstracker at 35000 feet

This was originally posted to VOX on June 12, 2008


I recently flew home from Houston to Los Angeles.  I got myself a window seat.  I was pleased to find my seat had two windows.  Inspired by a post by Monadi at phone-rush, I wanted to try GPS in mid-flight for myself.


Before takeoff, I set the N82 to offline mode and then turned it off.  When the pilot started talking, I first turned on my N95.  It took a few minutes to get a GPS lock.  I couldn't move it around without losing the signal.


I turned the N82 on and it didn't take long for it to get a signal.  I was able to keep the N82 in my shirt pocket and maintain a signal lock.  I turned on the GPS data application and got this screenshot:


Screenshot - Share on Ovi

Taking a que from the great position artist Stavros, I turned on the Sportstracker application to make some of my own position art.

I first changed a few settings.  I set the units to imperial and the GPS filtering to low.  I then activated the Sportstracker. Here is a map of my position art:



As you can see, Sportstracker logged my journey from mid-Texas to Southern California.


There is a log of the journey with a few images at the sportstracker website:
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/AlPavangkanan/e1648l52epd335lq


No comments:

Post a Comment

You read this and want to make a comment? Good for you!