Thursday, November 08, 2012

In the ER

Last Friday, my hair hurt.  Weird, right?  Just moving my hands through my hair made the left of my scalp tingle a bit.  On Saturday, my left eye started feeling funny.  By Monday, a rash had broken out on my left forehead and I was having headaches.

On Tuesday I called my health plan's nurse on call.  She went through my symptoms and guessed I have shingles and told me to see my doctor.  I tried to get an appointment with my doctor, since walk-ins are not taken at care center.  I called too late in the day to get a same day appointment from some cancellations, so I was told to call back tomorrow.  So this morning I tried to get another appointment.  The nurses were in a meeting and I was told to call back at 10am.  I called back and the nurse tried to turn me over to the appointment desk.  After half and hour on hold, I gave up and went with plan B.

2012-11-07-0097.jpg
Mural on the wall at the urgent care waiting room at Olive View Medical Center.  I'm not happy with the color tone my Nokia 808 Pureview got here.  I left it in auto mode instead of playing with the lighting options.

After lunch, I went to the ER at Olive View Medical Center.  I arrived at 3.  Processing took an hour.  It took another half an hour to see the nurse.  Holy moly, the nurse was hot.  Unfortunately I blew the chance to say "Hellooo nurse!" to her.  She took my vitals and forwarded me to urgent care.  Another hour before I saw a doctor, who quickly diagnosed me with shingles.  Then I had to wait for a nurse to draw some blood for an HIV test.  I have weak veins so she had to take blood from my hand.  OUCH.  She then gave me my prescription and I went home around 7.