Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Comic-Con 2013 - Preview Night

Somehow this year I had con crud before the convention started.  This turned out to be a bad omen.  First off, when I got to the train station, it turns out I left my phone charger at home.  My mom went home to retrieve it and got got back just in time for the train to leave.

2013-07-17-1519
Nokia 808 Pureview | View from the hotel room

The ride to San Diego was typical.  As always, the train was half filled with people headed to Comic-Con and the other half were people headed to the Del Mar races.  I'm not sure, but I think I sat behind a bunch of people from DC Comics.  I had a roommate check in early and we got a room in the south tower.  This was the first time in 5 years at the Marriott we had a room there.  There wasn't a balcony, but there was a great view of the boardwalk and more importantly, the lines.  Also, there was a pirate ship.

2013-07-17-1524
Nokia 808 Pureview | Entering the Exhibit Hall

After y second roommate arrived, we went to get our badges.  After getting my badge, I ended up with a "The Following" bag.  This bummed me out, since I saw so many people with "Godzilla" bags.  I tried to swap bags with people in the Sails Pavilion but nobody was interested.  I managed to use twitter to swap bags with someone.

2013-07-17-1525
Nokia 808 Pureview | Power Rangers Super Samurai Figuarts at the Tamashii Nations booth

While walking the exhibit floor, I tried to hit the Fox booth and score a poster tube.  Unfortunately, I ended up in the wrong line and was turned away.  Then I tried to hit the Bandai booth, but the line was capped.  I then hit the Tamashii Nations booth but their line was HUGE.  I went tot he Cartoon Network booth and got a Hot Dog Princess pin.  At this point I gave up on the floor and hit the Gaslamp to see the Godzilla Experience.

2013-07-17-1542
Nokia 808 Pureview | Ice King as half of the Cartoon Network booth


After a short walk into the street of downtown San Diego, I arrived at the Godzilla Experience.  I had to go deep into my email to find my pass and barcode to get in.  After walking in, I got to see some old props and memorabilia including the Oxygen Destroyer from the first movie.  Below is the suit from Godzilla 2000.  There was also a cafe set with a Japanese guy reading his paper.  Everyone was shuffled into a control room where they let you play with the knobs and switches.  After alarms went off, everyone was sent to a fake elevator that took us to the 27th floor.  From there we were in an office environment where out the windows, we saw Godzilla walk by. On the way out everyone was handed a mini poster.

2013-07-17-1553
Nokia 808 Pureview | King of the Monsters

I went back to the hotel to drop off my stuff.  In my usual preparation for Comic-Con, I sign up for every party with liquor possible.  I gathered up my roommates and headed downstairs for our first party put on a group called OTW.  While we were drinking and playing Cards Against Humanity, one of the hosts asked why there so many males there.  Cheap booze.  It turns out the party was for women in fiction.  Oh well.  Good times were had by all.