Sunday, July 28, 2013

Comic-Con 2013 - Sunday

2013-07-21-1777
Nokia 808 Pureview | Hall H line at 5:30am

Sunday morning I tried to hit the Bandai booth one more time.  I went to the front of the exhibit hall at 9am.  I went from hall C to hall E to find a door that would open.  When they let me in, they made me go upstairs.  It seemed like they wanted me to go to the regular line behind Ballroom 20.   Instead, I camped the stairs over by room 4.  I got there at just the right time as they took down the barrier tape.  I raced downstairs and found the Bandai line capped again.  This time I hung around and got in line they opened it for a split second.  It didn't matter, they ran out of Power Rangers stuff again.

2013-07-21-1782 2013-07-21-1778
Nokia 808 Pureview | Biollante and King Ghidorah figures

I walked the floor a bit more.  I snagged the fifth princess pin from the Adventure Time booth and scored a poster from the Lionsgate booth.  I headed down to the food truck, bought a breakfast sandwich and headed back to the room to make sure everything was packed and ready to go.

2013-07-21-1802 2013-07-21-1798
Nokia 808 Pureview | Superman suits at the DC booth

Late Saturday night, my friend Amber told me she scored a Sunday pass.   She arrived around 11am.  After checking out and leaving my bags with the bell hop, I took her around for her first Comic-Con.  We made our first stop at the Nintendo Gaming Lounge, but they were out of the lanyards I wanted.

2013-07-21-1814 2013-07-21-1815
Nokia 808 Pureview | Pacific Rim at Sideshow Collectables

We walked around the floor a bit and got halfway through the floor when I noticed the Adventure Time quest was still going.  We backtracked to the west end of the floor and started collecting all the clues.  Along the way we saw the Pacific Rim statues at the Sideshow Collectables booth, the Superman suits at the DC booth and Tom Hiddleston at the Marvel booth.

2013-07-21-1819
Nokia 808 Pureview | Tom Hiddleston created a traffic jam at the Marvel booth

We made it the east end of the floor and were nearly finished.  A security guy mistakened me for a Japanese person, that was weird.  We headed outside to see the Hello Kitty booth at Petco Park.  We made a stop at the Warner Bros lawn where the giant Teen Titans were.  There was also a hut from the Hobbit made of Legos.

2013-07-21-1826
Nokia 808 Pureview | Teen Titans

It was at this point we found out we were missing a clue.  Luckily one of my friends was nearby the last clue inside the exhibit hall and got it for us.  We went over to Petco Park and I got a free milkshake from the Coffee Bean truck while Amber was seeing all the Hello Kitty stuff.  We finished the Adventure Time quest and picked up her medal at the Shiftylook arcade.

2013-07-21-1836
Nokia 808 Pureview | Hobbit house made from Legos

We walked over to the Samsung Galaxy Experience.  Again, the line to get in was short, but the lines for everything else were long.  We got in line for drinks and they had a cool method for ordering.  There was a Galaxy S4 set up with a menu on its display.  You wave your hand to swipe over the screen to pick your drink.  Then you bump the S4 with the attendant's S4 who relays the drink to the bartenders.  We walked over to an info booth and Amber switched out her Note II's junky battery for a fully charged new battery.  She also got a blue case just for signing up with her email.  We tried to get the case laser etched, but the line was too long so we took off.

2013-07-21-1837 2013-07-21-1844
Nokia 808 Pureview | Sunday Cosplay

We headed back to the con and split up so I could go see the talkback panel.  With only 30 minutes left, I didn't get to hear many complaints.  I mostly hung out at the water cooler and hydrated.

2013-07-21-1821 2013-07-21-1839
Nokia 808 Pureview | Space Ghost and a guy with giant wings

Amber offered me a ride home, so we went back to the Marriott to pick up my bags.  We wandered through the Gaslamp trying to find where she was parked.  After 9 blocks, we found the car and were on our way.  We made a pitstop in my old stomping grounds in Mira Mesa.  We had dinner at a Dennys, our waiter was a con veteran so the experience was excellent.  I fell asleep on the drive back and when I woke up, we were almost home.

2013-07-21-1841
Nokia 808 Pureview | Goodbye Comic-Con

Chasing the Dragon Ranger kinda ruined my con.  All that wasted time going to the Bandai booth could have been put to better use.  I missed a lot of parties due to exhaustion.  I never walked into Hall H or Ballroom 20 this year, that's a first in over 10 Comic-Cons. Still, this was an amazing experience and I'm looking forward to doing it all over again next July.