Thursday, July 25, 2013

Comic-Con 2013 - Thursday

2013-07-18-1570
Nokia 808 Pureview | Welcome to San Diego

I was awake incredibly early on Thursday.  So early the hotel wasn't serving breakfast yet.  I walked over to Ralphs and got some juice and the worst breakfast burrito I ever ate.  While walking around, I got to see the deserted areas where the Vikings mini ship racing and the Fox animation set-ups were getting ready.

2013-07-18-1569
Nokia 808 Pureview | The Bates Motel sign was next to the Vikings ships

I got in line for the exhibit hall around 8am.  The line to get in was upstairs where the Ballroom 20 line was.  When the hall opened, the Bandai booth was already capped.  I headed over to the Tamashii Nations booth and found no line, so I bought $500 worth of toys.  I tried the FOX booth again and the line stretched all the way to the end of the room.  By the time I made it to the booth, they ran out of poster tubes.  I decided to head back and ran into the Power Rangers.  Black was acting goofy and made me do a selfie with him.  He got separated from the rest of the rangers for a few minutes while hamming it up with other fans.

2013-07-18-1581
Nokia 808 Pureview | Never expected to do a selfie with a Power Ranger

I headed back to the hotel to drop off my loot when I remembered I made a purchase from Matty Collector.  I went over to the other side of the Marriott to pick it up when I realized I forgot my email receipt.  I headed over to the front desk to ask if there was a way to print it out and they said the bell hop had a free printer.  I got my printout and headed back to Matty Collector.  The door was closed.  They shut down at 11am and wouldn't be back until 3pm. 

2013-07-18-1586
Nokia 808 Pureview | Meet the Lumia 1020 at the Wired Cafe

I headed over to the Omni to visit the Wired Cafe.  Billed as a daytime oasis, the Wired Cafe was THE place to hang out and get away from the hustle and bustle of the con.  As soon as I checked in, I saw Aubrey Plaza walking off to do an interview.  The first thing that caught my eye was the Nokia booth.  They had the new Lumia 928 and 1020 to play with.  My first hands on with the 1020 was delightful.  The weight was surprisingly light, even with the camera grip attached.  I liked how easy it was to change from the camera grip to the wireless charging case.  The Camera Pro interface was easy to use.  I'm very much looking forward to owning one.

I got my phone laser etched #sdcc #gokaiger
Samsung Galaxy Note II | I got my phone case laser etched

There was a Vikings ship where you could take photos with props.  There was a a Game of Thrones bar with chalices from the show.  Behind it you could enter to win a Game of Thrones themed Xbox.  Charity Water had an information booth.  There was an artist doing superhero caricatures.  Seidio provided a wall of charging stations while you waited for your portrait.  There was a Cubify booth with a 3D printer that could take your own head and put it on a Star Trek figure. Epilog Laser had a set up where you could have anything laser etched with an image of your choice. I emailed them the Gokaiger pirate logo and minutes later I had the coolest phone in San Diego. 

2013-07-18-1600
Nokia 808 Pureview | I met the President

By 2pm, some of my friends had shown up.  My favorite part of Comic-Con is seeing friends you only get to see once a year, especially when there's an open bar.  At this point, the Wired Cafe started getting weird.  President Obama showed up.  He talked about replacing the drone program with Battlepillars.  I got a photo with him in front of the Game of Thrones bar.  As I was getting to leave, some Ghostbusters showed up.

2013-07-18-1605
Nokia 808 Pureview | Ghostbusters!

I had already missed a panel and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss another, so I had to leave the fun of the Wired Cafe behind to get back into the convention.  I got over to room 6BCF and was surprised to find no line.  I found a great seat up front while the Capcom games panel ended 15 minutes early. 

2013-07-18-1615
Nokia 808 Pureview | Your favorite voice actors

It was Thursday afternoon and I was finally seeing a panel at Comic-Con.  John DiMaggio has been the voice of Bender and Jake the Dog and made a documentary about voice acting called I Know That Voice.  He brought along an all star cast of voice actors for his panel including Rob Paulsen, Dee Bradley Baker, Fred Tatasciore and Tom Kenny. 

2013-07-18-1619
Nokia 808 Pureview | Jackin it in San Diego with Matt and Trey

The next panel was for an upcoming South Park video game.  The panel featured Matt Stone and Trey Parker taking questions about the game and the show.  I wanted to stay for the next panel, Spike and Mike's New Animation, but I was hungry.

2013-07-18-1625
Nokia 808 Pureview | TARDIS poncho

I headed out to the Gaslamp and stopped at Burger Lounge.  The burger was good, but the fries were terrible.  Get onion rings if you ever find yourself eating here.  While in line, I saw a guy in a TARDIS poncho, haven't seen that before.  I ran into my roommates from last year, who were having an amazing time.  While I had rsvps to a couple of parties, I was exhausted and went back to the hotel to sleep. Checking twitter, I saw that NERD HQ was having an amazing party and that the MTV2 Party at Petco Park didn't suck.  There were even fireworks, but the Omni hotel blocked off my view of them.  I was too tired to be jealous.