Saturday, September 11, 2010

VOX Archive: MobileCampLA

This was originally posted to VOX on October 30, 2007

I went to MobileCampLA last Sunday.
I had a conversation with Astra, a graffic design artist from Cal Arts. When I told her about my N95's 5 MP camera, she seemed surprised how big that is. We got into a conversation about possibilities of the video recorder and how great movies could be made, regardless of medium.

I attended a bunch of panels. My favorite was the Megaphone demonstration. There's a big screen set up and people with any kind of phone can call in and play. I won the first game.

Lunch arrived in the form of a catered In & Out Burger truck. I ordered a double but probably could have eaten another.

After lunch was a half baked entrepreneur contest. The attendees formed groups and suggested a bunch of mobile words. The groups then picked 2 words and was tasked to make a company around it. I grouped with the fellow WOMworld attendees and made a pitch about Laser QR codes. Rich, Mike and Jeremiah did the bulk of the work in creating a laser equipped cell phone that can project QR codes anywhere and onto anything from clouds to kittens. The winning group came up with a car parking alarm system. They won 5 N95-3's and 2 N800's.

Near the end of the day, there was a trivia contest. Every time I sent an email through gmail for an entry, it never showed up. By the time I switched to Yahoo mail, all the N95's were given away. Not discouraged, there were still N800's left to be given away. With help from Jeremiah and his VAIO notebook, I got an entry in on time and won one!

One person, a fellow who runs indigi-net.org, won the N95-3. At the end the conference, I noticed he rode a bike. I suggested to him he get a holder for his bike to attach his new N95 and use the GPS to get around and he smiled with the idea.

Before saying goodbye to the WOMworld crew, I discussed with Siobhan about how hard it was to find the Culver Events Center. I have Route66 installed on my N95, but it had a hard time finding the place. Many among the WOMworld crew had GPS units and they couldn't find it either. But the drive home was quick and easy.

Full Gallery here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtran/sets/72157602777509933/


N95 | Flickr set from MobileCampLA

Thanks to WOMworld for the invitation and to MobileCampLA for the N800.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You read this and want to make a comment? Good for you!